Saturday, November 12, 2011

perceptions, and life abundantly.

Ok, so I’m trying to be as methodical as a I can with this one, and I admit that the structure of it is coming out kind of messy. It’s a blog. you’re not paying me to read it, and I feel no pity for you, dear hypothetical readers.

there are two elements to blogging that are hard for me: the first is that it has to be a very intentional act. it’s hard for me to sit down and simply create something worth reading just because I feel like it. and that’s a poor motivation, to spend a long time writing something poetic and brilliant just because I want to say “hey everyone. I’m alive and am in a position in life that involves internet access.” The second is that blogging is just so vulnerable and arbitrary, like a man who stands on a cliff reading essays so that the universe might hear. lately I’ve written a few really long letters, and there’s something beautiful about writing letters because it’s a message with an intended destination. I’ve been reading from the pastoral letters of the bible lately and there’s something about them that’s just so special, not even because of the truth that the writers are trying to get across but because of the sheer love they have for the recipient that seeps out into every little choice of pronoun. And this isn’t that at all. there’s this element to blogging that seems to be writing to the wind. But I’m going to try this anyway, and with any luck and with god’s grace I will accomplish the literary equivalent of vomiting brilliance all over this document.

So the first thing I need to do is establish my audience. If I’m not writing to the wind, who am I writing to? My audience pretty much consists of people I know, who I don’t have to explain the entire story of how I got to where I am now. I want to tell that story, but it’d take a lot of patient writing that I just don’t have 12 hours to sit down and write out right now. I hope to do it at some point soon, but even if I do it I’m not sure I want to put it here. I don’t think it’s out of a lack of candor that I should approach the internet with a bit of restraint in what I say. It’s the internet. and there’s something to be said for subtlety and careful selection of what’s important. I’m learning that there are a lot of things about me and my life and my choices that I like and that are good, but that I don’t want to choose as some big part of my life, something that I stand for, something I represent. I’m noticing that I hate what the internet is becoming, especially as people are being raised having never gone without it. It seems like the entire world has lost sight of the simple beauty of doing things for the sheer life of it. People do things just so they can make facebook statuses that said they did them, and insist on taking pictures of themselves in any situation because what’s really important about doing anything is to be validated in doing it. It’s not even so much about who you are on the internet, it’s about who you appear to be.

And I am tired of all that. So I try to use the internet differently. To actually communicate, and not promote myself. The problem I’m talking about is actually bigger than the internet, it seems like people of our generation are missing the point of life in general. We think that fulfillment in life is recognition when it’s life itself that’s the blessing. The thing is, my life is really abundant right now. It’s not perfect, there are a lot of things about it that are beautiful and great and there are other things about it that are painful and stressful and transient. however, it’s important to me that whatever it is about life that is important and meaningful to me is what’s truly at the forefront of my decisionmaking. what I’m learning is that life is for living abundantly, so who cares what other people think? This line of thought runs contrary to everything I’ve been trained to care about. How much stuff I have and how well off I am and how much positive attention the masses of people give me seem such small matters when I realize that I only get one life, and validation is so much less important than love.

I guess what I’m trying to get at is this idea that I think we as a culture (and, let’s face it, in the online generation we’re all pretty much one culture at this point) need to scrap what’s been popularly decided as what’s important in life. the two cornerstones are the concepts of notoriety and security. And it’s this notoriety one that I’m focusing on here. I think where it comes from is that we think that if other people affirm us as the people we’d like to be thought of, it somehow magically turns us into that person. And so my old model of doing things was that I’d do something that would make me look kind or good or funny or cool, and the most important thing to me was that other people saw that and inferred those words upon me. So it’d always need to be some big spectacle. and even if I got the recognition I thought I needed it still left me hollow. And all of whatever reputation I built within a group of people would lose its meaning because groups of people themselves have no permanence. Who cares who I was thought of being in high school, or in college? It all is scattered to the wind and the reputation I thought made me valuable is nothing. Who people think I am now will soon mean nothing. So it doesn’t matter who people think I am, what matters is who I actually am.

So who do we actually want to be?
I want to be kind, and thoughtful, and loving, and joyful, and patient, and good, and faithful, and gentle.
I want my life to be filled with adventure and acts of beauty and remarkable kindness.
My primary pursuit isn’t to be thought of as any of these things, I want to actually be them and do them. And if other people don’t notice it’s all the more glory to God that I possess them. It’ll be our little unhidden secret, and when people have the time and patience to discover it, it’ll be like finding buried treasure. And how wonderful would life be if everyone were like this, with every passing stranger possessing within them entire universes of possibilities, hopes, and idiosyncrasies, making every moment an opportunity to explore new uncharted pathways into the mystery it is simply to be alive.

and here I am, spending a sunny november saturday on the internet, orating to no one. Screw it, I’m done. I'm going for a walk. I wonder what new pathways I’ll find. If you want to know how I'm doing, call me, for I miss your voices and faces dearly, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment