Wednesday, February 15, 2012

on self-serving blogs about travel.

ohhhh, dear readers, I'm not even gonna post this one to facebook, because it's just a thought, for you.

I'm in Penang, Malaysia. It's lovely here. And I could wax poetic about all these lovely old brick buildings, and I know that I'm supposed to blog about my adventures, but the subtext of all of those blogs written by everyone has always been "hey, look at meeeee...."

and so much of what I do isn't just to brag to my hypothetical readers. Several times now people have said that they were jealous of my travels, and it makes me reconsider everything, because what my entire generation seems to be fixated on is doing stuff just so other people will think highly of them. and that's stupid. I never want to be a part of that. ohh, I have stories, mind you, but I'd much rather like it if you asked me about them instead, because wheras bragging is stupid, stories are beautiful. It's lonely sometimes out on the road, and getting on here and writing to nobody doesn't seem to help with that all that much.

anyways, off to Kuala Lumpur.

No comments:

Post a Comment